[opensuse-project] Re: Code names
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 19:44:12 +0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 04 May 2009 13:57:39 -0400, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

Are there that many of us actively using computers/linux/opensuse to be
offended by associations with ww2 ???

It's not those who are currently/actively using it (at least not
exclusively) but the audience to whom we wish to appeal to.

I'm not taking sides in the discussion, but if a name was picked that
evoked a significant negative memory/emotion for you, would you be
inclined to speak out against it?

I would rather see the project avoid controversy where it can be avoided
so the project team doesn't have to spend cycles defending the choice of
name for the project (or not responding to it and letting those who are
offended be ignored - which in and of itself also generates negative

Jim Henderson