Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 15:51:30 +0200
Martin Schlander wrote:
Mandag den 4. maj 2009 14:59:06 skrev Michael Loeffler:
As long as there is not a brilliant idea of changing the openSUSE
versioning I don't see much positive things in doing so. Does the
current versioning hurt somewhere (beside of "I don't like it")?

It hurts a bit.

While I'm not really sure about changing the numbering scheme I really
like the colors idea. For example [1] provides a quite good list of
colors to choose from. Using Pantone(c) color names could be a problem
because of the legal issues.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors

Quite a lot of people tend to think that x.0 is less mature and has more new
features than other releases. And they somehow expect x.1|2|3 to be merely
boring updates or servicepacks for the x.0.

So a version numbering which shows more clearly that all releases are unique
might be beneficial.

Do you think that keeping the numbering scheme and adding the code
names (colors in our case) will send a good signal to people so they'd
better understand that every release is truly unique ?

On the other hand we'd lose some of the great history and nostalgia
associated
with the current scheme.

Agreed.

PS: Even though I'm advocating color names, I'd still like to see the
wallpapers/branding in green tones (i.e. they would _not_ match the
codename color). The green is our identification mark and we surely
don't want to look like folks abusing LSD. :D

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer Lihovarska 1060/12