Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:13:03 +0200
Mandag den 4. maj 2009 14:59:06 skrev Michael Loeffler:
As long as there is not a brilliant idea of changing the openSUSE
versioning I don't see much positive things in doing so. Does the
current versioning hurt somewhere (beside of "I don't like it")?

It hurts a bit.

Quite a lot of people tend to think that x.0 is less mature and has more new
features than other releases. And they somehow expect x.1|2|3 to be merely
boring updates or servicepacks for the x.0.

So a version numbering which shows more clearly that all releases are unique
might be beneficial.

On the other hand we'd lose some of the great history and nostalgia associated
with the current scheme.