Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 21:36:40 +1000
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Martin Schlander a écrit :

I don't see any need/use for code names at all

names usually don't mean anything... they are used to make memory easier.

other distros uses year.month numeric and/or name

openSUSE naming is completely absurd and changing it would be a good
thing.

The idea of colours is very good

Since I mentioned colors I should state I actually prefer an idea
related to YY.MM detail/naming.

One (the?) important piece of info not communicated is the
'expiry'/lifetime/time-to-live information of a distro's release

Referring to:
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Linux_Lifetime

We would have/had:

10.2 -> 10-08.11
10.3 -> 10-09.10
11.0 -> 11-10.06
11.1 -> 11-10.12
11.2 -> 11-??.??

This way I get _much_ more useful info and:
- it is implicit that 10-08.11 was released before 10-09.10
- I don't care when the release was made
- I do care when its lifetime will be 'over'
- encourages people to test/adopt the living releases.
- discourages a novice from inadvertently hanging onto a release
beyond its 'lifetime'.

I do like the Ubuntu LTS, and I like the CentOS long lifetime too, but
that issue is, I suspect, another can of worms :)

Cheers

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net