Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:42:58 +0200
Mandag den 4. maj 2009 11:13:44 skrev Stephan Kulow:
The code names I came up with the morning I posted the schedule,
were not so great (check the forum to see a lot of people offended),
so I would like to discuss it more generally: what is a good code name
line?

I don't see any need/use for code names at all, unless the code name says
something meaningful about the focus for the upcoming release. Might even be
directly confusing/harmful and give some people wrong impressions about the
release in question, if the name is just "random" and people start trying to
interpret what "the message" is.

For example, if something is called "Gutsy Gibbon" you might expect it to be
full of experimental and risky stuff.

I believe in some Indian tribes a new born child was given a name by all
adults. Later they would see what name best matched the child, and the one who
came up with that name would additionally be made the god parent of the child,
maybe we could use a similar approach ;-)