Re: [opensuse-project] Code names
  • From: Mark V <mvyver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 20:14:45 +1000
On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 7:29 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephan Kulow a écrit :
Hi,

The code names I came up with the morning I posted the schedule,
were not so great (check the forum to see a lot of people offended),
so I would like to discuss it more generally: what is a good code name line?

I think this is the forum thread referred to?

http://forums.opensuse.org/surveys-polls/411368-first-new-code-name-fichte-opensuse-8.html

The response seems pretty unambiguous. I'm in the last category. An
alternative suggestion below.

depends if you want to name each alpha/beta or only full release, that
is with full releases, we have only one or two a year :-)

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~worc0337/philosophers.html

gives you 188 philosophers...

I suggest you make a ballot. list the names and ask users (or members)
two questions:

1) What are the philosophers *we should not use* - for example
Friedrich Nietzsche could be associated with world war two, probably
not a good choice (knowing if the association is reasonable or not is
not our problem);

2) What are the prefered names

If I understand correctly, Ubuntu is an Africa oriented distro name,
and initially chose Africa oriented code names... until they went with
Koala.... maybe others too?

Anyway, openSUSE has a Chameleon logo and chooses philosopher code
names... initial impression, on me, was 'trying to hard'.

Would it not be more obvious, even natural (excuse the pun), given the
Chameleon mascot, to choose colors as code names?
If there is a requirement to be smart about it, perhaps chose colors a
Chameleon is known to be capable of producing, order them on the color
spectrum and use those color names in that order, assume moving left
to right.

This avoids the whole philosophy controversy and rather than possibly
being perceived as pretentious, provides a reasoned and systematic
name choice "algorithm", albeit with a stretched [and still
pretentious :)] rationale: A Chameleon changes color as required; to
whatever 'just-works' in the current environment.

my 2c

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net