[opensuse-project] Localized LiveCD
  • From: Jean Cayron <jean.cayron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:31:42 +0100
Hello,

I'm trying to make a localized liveCD in Walloon with kiwi and openSUSE 11.1.
I managed to make a first testing ISO that's quite good but we might
still work a bit on it and on the selection of programs.
Announce (sorry it isn't in English) is there:
http://walotux.walon.org/spip.php?article30

These were the main issues:
- To add translations of minors language to your ISO you must add many
packages like "bundle-lang-common" that ships many minor languages and
make your ISO too big for a CD. My workaround was to copy the MO files
directly to the sources of the image without using the packages. That
works but is not very clean.
- With kiwi, if you set a language to your live CD, it won't affect
your Desktop that will remain in English. You have to change by hand
the config files of KDE and ".profile".
- Also a problem of keyboard (QWERTY), but I might find the trick.

If some people are interested, I could make a post on it, in English,
on my website.

My two questions are:

- Is/was there any plan to make live CD in other languages, mainstream
or not? For mainstream languages (FR, ES, IT...) you could put a few
languages on the same CD (as Mandriva does). I think on the official
on is there only EN and DE.

- Is there room on the openSUSE servers to host images of community
liveCD such as mine, as long as they respect the new trademark
guidelines? How do other projects? My ISO is for now hosted on
TuxFamily.

Thanks for your reactions and feedbacks.

Jean
Walloon-team coordinator