Re: [opensuse-project] Organization of SW releases
  • From: Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:30:25 +0100
2009/2/10 Gerald Pfeifer <gp@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Birger Kollstrand wrote:
Could you specify how you would see the base? This is an area that I
have little experience in, but I do know fro other project (work
related) that toolchains are often expensive to manage.

Which parts of the system costs the most work to keep updated? The
kernel, toolchain, DE's, applications.

I was not thinking of cost, but the implications of updating. From that
perspective, reving the kernel should be easier to do than the toolchain
(including glibc). Nearly the entire distribution depends on the latter
relatively directly.

That is what I was thinking about cost. Cost of getting in to
problems, using unreasonable amount of man hours etc.

Would it be posible compile get a list of what SW has the highest risk
of impacting the distro the most if changed?

Birger