Re: [opensuse-project] Boxed editions slipping on release dates (3 weeks in some cases)
  • From: N B Day <nday@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:16:54 -0800
On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 10:14 -0500, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

I'm really sorry that we've missed the shipping date for purchasers of
the openSUSE 11.1 box. Assuming there will be a box, we will try to
ensure that the 11.2 retail box doesn't have the same issue. If we
don't have a release date that falls between a few major holidays, I
think that will help us be more successful.

Thanks, that's all I wanted.

I'd just like to say again that a professionally boxed and produced DVD
is, in my experience, a great comfort to people who want to try Linux
but are skeptical because they've learned from the mass media that Linux
comes from weird people with big bushy beards and sandals-with-sox who
live in their mother's basement. This is especially true of small
business people and academics. Distribution via download only is like
preaching to the already converted.

If it isn't profitable or convenient to have a boxed release
simultaneous with the general release, then why not do a box mid cycle
or even late in the cycle incorporating all the updates and even a dvd
or two with some of the main repositories? I know several people out
here in the vast emptiness where the phone lines tend to be nailed to
the fence-posts who would gladly be six months out of phase if they
could have a really solid, bug-free OS. Or, maybe just find some way to
market SLED to these folks!

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up