Re: [opensuse-project] Boxed editions slipping on release dates (3 weeks in some cases)
  • From: N B Day <nday@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:03:04 -0800
On Mon, 2008-12-22 at 23:54 +0100, Stephan Binner wrote:

I doubt that you ordered something in expectation of a certain shipping date
mentioned in the order confirmation you received later.

In the recent past, boxes have shipped to US addresses very shortly (a
day or two at most) after the official release. If this was going to
change this time, the "pre-order" process should have made it clear.

"Anticipated Released Date: December 18, 2008" certainly implies (to me
anyway) shipment well in advance of 5 January.

Release date != shipping date != date it arrives at you. If you make up the
latter if there is no statement from the merchant (like "will arrive at you
before christmas if you order before xx") then do not blame the merchant.

Weasly lawyer talk! Boxes in other countries have shipped. Why not in
North America? All I'm asking for is some reason why. It is a good
product and I'm perfectly content to wait for it; just want to know why
there is a delay when it has shipped elsewhere.

I don't understand why you can't go to your local Radio Shack and pick
up a boxed edition or order it from Amazon. This is how I first

There are not enough boxes sold anymore in most countries that it's
profitable
for merchants. Alternatively Novell would have to pay a likely hugh fee to
buy shelf space to get openSUSE boxes placed => not profitable for Novell.

Translation: we can't sell boxes because we don't try to sell boxes.

Buying the box is one of the few ways many of us can contribute to the

No, http://en.opensuse.org/How_to_Participate

I've got more money than time, unfortunately.

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up