Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:13:40 -0600
On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 11:48 -0500, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
I like the way you're thinking... ;-)

Let me just say, first, that let's *never* plan a release a week
before Christmas again, Mmmkay?

(Though we haven't failed to get the word out:
http://zonker.opensuse.org/2008/12/19/opensuse-111-coverage/)

For future releases, if we can just rule out anything between the week
before Thanksgiving and, say, January 10th or so, that'd be spiffy.

Absolutely. From a logistical perspective, this release has made the
boxed edition shipments to North America slip until after the beginning
of 2009. Already I've seen some disappointed users who purchased boxed
editions as Christmas gifts become angry at the fact they won't be
arriving on time. Although that's another problem (in another thread),
if we're still going to have this issue with the boxed editions taking a
few weeks to arrive in North America, that needs to be counted into the
decision (read: no right-before-major-gift-giving-holiday releases!)

My thoughts, from just the marketing perspective:

July and August - we have major events (assuming the economic climate
doesn't torpedo them...) during those months, and the opportunities
for coverage are really good. We did a push for the openSUSE Build
Service 1.0 in July, and did pretty well, all things considered.

Yes, a lot of people are away on vacation, but by the same token,
they're good months because (usually) little else is going on.

Good point, although couldn't we get some coverage also if we show off a
beta of the product at these shows? Do some demos of cool new stuff that
we're certain to have in 11.2, even if it's not the final version?
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy - openSUSE Member
Public Mail: <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>