Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:03:34 -0600
On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 13:21 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Sooo. First, a question: would a release at the end of July or in August
be possible? I think doing this would clearly mitigate the "we don't
have the latest GNOME" issue. I'd also like to hear what Zonker thinks
of promoting a new release during days that are usually really quiet
from a news perspective (mainly because people are away).

That would be my preferred option, to be honest.

I agree that releasing during quiet periods is definitely a nice thing
if we can do it, but do we really want to do another quick 6-month
cycle?

Then, we have the option with a release at the end of October or in
November/December. This means releasing at the same time as
Ubuntu/Mandriva/Fedora unless we aim at December. Not sure it's good
(because it will likely mean less media coverage). And the cycle is a
bit long. (not even talking about the SUSE conference that should occur
in September)

As long as we release either before or after mid-October we should miss
the Ubuntu news frenzy. Fedora is more of a wild card, but late November
is probably a good bet for them. So pretty much anytime up until
mid-October, then from late October until the U.S. Thanksgiving week
(per what Zonker's said).

Or we keep the proposed schedule. And use Magnus' idea of creating an
add-on, but in a different way: release openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.26
and create an (semi-?)official add-on for 2.28 that we release in early
October. Looking at this add-on could be interesting to see if it's
possible to ship an updated and working GNOME after less than 4 weeks
after the GNOME release. I don't know how the GNOME team (and more
generally, the users) would like the idea, but I find the challenge of
having the distro accept a big official update as an add-on quite
interesting.

By "add-on", what do you mean? An extra CD to download, or an online
update (like a Service Pack, basically)? I'm not so hot on the idea,
especially considering it'd be only a month or so after 11.2's official
release anyway.
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy - openSUSE Member
Public Mail: <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>