Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:37:27 +0000
2008/12/19 Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

openSUSE 11.1 is almost out of the door and we (coolo, aj, zonker and
myself) had some discussion about the release date for openSUSE 11.2.

So I read the whole thread -- that's quite interesting. I'm replying
mainly from a desktop point of view, which I guess isn't that surprising

First, a few facts:

That was a very clear and interesting summary.

Or we keep the proposed schedule. And use Magnus' idea of creating an
add-on, but in a different way: release openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.26
and create an (semi-?)official add-on for 2.28 that we release in early
October. Looking at this add-on could be interesting to see if it's
possible to ship an updated and working GNOME after less than 4 weeks
after the GNOME release. I don't know how the GNOME team (and more
generally, the users) would like the idea, but I find the challenge of
having the distro accept a big official update as an add-on quite
interesting.

From a current KDE 3.5 user perspective, shipping the "core" with
KDE-4.3 with a stable GNOME sounds good.

The distro can get more publicity, by pre-announcing the GNOME 2.28
addition on the stable base of 11.2 + updates, and then issueing new
Live CD's as a 11.2.1 or 11.2 + GNOME 2.28 Addon.

In past, SuSE made significant updates available to the "attentive"
user base. But it never seemed to be "loud and proud" enough to get
mindshare and break the meme, that the release packages were somehow
fixed in stone and unchanging, such as is case in Debian "stable" for
instance. So the ppl who read SuSE usenet or forums, or mail lists
would know they could install software upgrades, but not the average
Linux user reading magazines or news sites.

I like the idea, of big softare packages and environments, shipping
when they're ready and meeting good quality standards, rather than
having to ship as is, because of an important event. That leads to
having to replace almost every package soon after with update.