Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:21:46 +0100
Hi,

(late -- and long -- reply, apologies)

Le lundi 15 décembre 2008, à 14:43 +0100, Michael Loeffler a écrit :
Moin,

openSUSE 11.1 is almost out of the door and we (coolo, aj, zonker and
myself) had some discussion about the release date for openSUSE 11.2.

So I read the whole thread -- that's quite interesting. I'm replying
mainly from a desktop point of view, which I guess isn't that surprising
;-)

First, a few facts:

+ as far as I understood, KDE 4.3 will have a 5 months development
cycle so that 4.3 is released before Akademy
+ GNOME 2.28 will be released around September 23rd (+/- one week) and
this is unlikely to change
+ there's a hard requirement of at least 4 weeks between the release of
GNOME/KDE and the release of openSUSE
=> I'd be interested to know how we can reevaluate this decision
(there's an idea below)
+ for the future: KDE releases are January/July and GNOME releases are
March/September
+ (it would have been awesome to announce the next openSUSE during the
GNOME/KDE co-located conference in July, but I guess that's a bad
timing)

It seems there's some clear consensus that people don't want a release
schedule of less than 6 months (and looking at the feedback, quite some
people find that 6 months is short), and I would guess that people
wouldn't like too much a cycle that lasts more than 12 months. So that
leaves us with a window of end of June - beginning of December.

Looking at this window:

+ end of June: development cycle is too short for many, we miss KDE 4.3
=> not a good option
+ July: only possible at the end of July if we want 4 weeks after the
integration of KDE 4.3. But it's not the best time to announce stuff
from a marketing point of view (although this could be an opportunity
to be really visible since there won't be a lot of other things)
+ August: technically possible, but same issue from a marketing point
of view. There might also be an issue with people being away in
vacation.
+ September: good, except that we miss GNOME for only a few weeks. This
could be bad if people compare with beta of other distros that will
be released at the same time with the latest GNOME
+ October: only end of October possible if we want 4 weeks after the
integration of GNOME 2.28
+ November/December: ok. Development cycle a bit long, unfortunately.

I'd argue that it's highly important to consider the marketing side of
things when building the schedule. Building something which is excellent
from a technical point of view is not enough to have a successful
openSUSE project.

Sooo. First, a question: would a release at the end of July or in August
be possible? I think doing this would clearly mitigate the "we don't
have the latest GNOME" issue. I'd also like to hear what Zonker thinks
of promoting a new release during days that are usually really quiet
from a news perspective (mainly because people are away).

That would be my preferred option, to be honest.

Then, we have the option with a release at the end of October or in
November/December. This means releasing at the same time as
Ubuntu/Mandriva/Fedora unless we aim at December. Not sure it's good
(because it will likely mean less media coverage). And the cycle is a
bit long. (not even talking about the SUSE conference that should occur
in September)

Or we keep the proposed schedule. And use Magnus' idea of creating an
add-on, but in a different way: release openSUSE 11.2 with GNOME 2.26
and create an (semi-?)official add-on for 2.28 that we release in early
October. Looking at this add-on could be interesting to see if it's
possible to ship an updated and working GNOME after less than 4 weeks
after the GNOME release. I don't know how the GNOME team (and more
generally, the users) would like the idea, but I find the challenge of
having the distro accept a big official update as an add-on quite
interesting.

(the mail is getting long, so I'll stop here, but JP is probably right
to mention that it's worth considering the long-term and 11.3 in the
decision)

I feel the pain of the eyes that were able to reach the end of this
mail, but I hope it was worth it ;-)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.