Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
On Thu, 2008-12-18 at 19:50 +0000, Benji Weber wrote:

If we're voting then I much prefer the longer ~10month+ release cycle length.

IMHO, This release was very much "blink and you miss it" type release. I
just upgraded my employers' openSUSE 10.3 servers in late September to
openSUSE 11.0 (not very long ago at all), and openSUSE 11.1 is now out.

Having the longer release cycle has the following benefits:
* Longer development sprints = more whiz-bang features per release (at
the expense of fewer releases per time period). Plus, if you do finalize
on a version and a newer version will be out soon, you could always
backport the more stable new features if they are easily separable.
* More stable packages (since you have more time to get fixed upstream
packages, and to find and patch any bugs in packages, and to backport
fixes from newer upstream releases after the upstream version to track
has been finalized). This is one of the reasons I like openSUSE.. it has
the benefits of a stable platform with a "fast" (fast enough)
development cycle.
* More time for openSUSE developers to work on creating things as
opposed to just integration of upstream. After all, if I wanted a
release that looks like upstream, I'd be using Foresight ;).

--Justin