Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Giovanni Masucci <gio.grifis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:57:22 +0100
On giovedì 18 dicembre 2008 08:11:08 Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
On Thursday 18 December 2008 01:38:59 Rajko M. wrote:
On Wednesday 17 December 2008 02:13:42 am Jiri Srain wrote:
On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 23:28:41 Magnus Boman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 22:44 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 22:28:33 schrieb Magnus Boman:
Thought it might be worth mentioning it.

Limiting openSUSE to GNOME or KDE is just wrong. Interesting idea
though.

Hmm, would it be possible to have a base openSUSE system, and have
GNOME/KDE as addons? It wouldn't be *that* much of a difference
compared to the LiveCD's?

Well, technically spoken, yes. I don't think many users would like this
approach, installing from a single DVD is just too comfortable.

On the other hand, we might consider providing up-to-date desktop
environments as add-on products during the life cycle of the distro
(basically make an add-on from factory repo after new
KDE/GNOME/whatever gets released and stabilized).

Jiri

That's good idea in many ways:
- base distro would have to sync with smaller number of upstream projects
- the addon desktop CDs can be tested out of sync with main release
- current problems with last minute inclusion or time spent on backports
are out for good
- users that depend on physical media will get opportunity to have the
newest desktop without much work to download oBS repository

Is there any adverse effects?

The problem is that you need to explain to users how to use addon desktop
CDs. And this will become a problem, I'm pretty sure. There is stuff like
media changing during installation, not forgetting to add it, also we would
need to test quite a bit more scenarios to make sure the experience is
smooth.

Keep in mind that 'everything is right there' is one of the most noted
advantages of openSUSE compared to other distros.

Stano
I agree so here's a variation of this proposal:
In my precedent post I wrote how i'd handle the situation on the update front.
For user with a slow connection we could release an iso image called opensuse
11.1.1 with kde4.2
and then 11.1.2 with gnome 2.26.
This way an user can choose between installing 11.1 and then use updates as
they come or download directly the new iso. This way opensuse can concentrate
on improving as a distribution rather than running behind the two DEs and
users will have an easy, official and supported upgrade path rather than
having to use factory or build service repos that will remain there for people
who love to have the latest DE the day it's released (or even before it's
released :) ) exacty as they are now.