Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 08:11:08 +0100
On Thursday 18 December 2008 01:38:59 Rajko M. wrote:
On Wednesday 17 December 2008 02:13:42 am Jiri Srain wrote:
On Tuesday 16 of December 2008 23:28:41 Magnus Boman wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 22:44 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 22:28:33 schrieb Magnus Boman:
Thought it might be worth mentioning it.

Limiting openSUSE to GNOME or KDE is just wrong. Interesting idea
though.

Hmm, would it be possible to have a base openSUSE system, and have
GNOME/KDE as addons? It wouldn't be *that* much of a difference
compared to the LiveCD's?

Well, technically spoken, yes. I don't think many users would like this
approach, installing from a single DVD is just too comfortable.

On the other hand, we might consider providing up-to-date desktop
environments as add-on products during the life cycle of the distro
(basically make an add-on from factory repo after new KDE/GNOME/whatever
gets released and stabilized).

Jiri

That's good idea in many ways:
- base distro would have to sync with smaller number of upstream projects
- the addon desktop CDs can be tested out of sync with main release
- current problems with last minute inclusion or time spent on backports
are out for good
- users that depend on physical media will get opportunity to have the
newest desktop without much work to download oBS repository

Is there any adverse effects?

The problem is that you need to explain to users how to use addon desktop CDs.
And this will become a problem, I'm pretty sure. There is stuff like media
changing during installation, not forgetting to add it, also we would need to
test quite a bit more scenarios to make sure the experience is smooth.

Keep in mind that 'everything is right there' is one of the most noted
advantages of openSUSE compared to other distros.

Stano