Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 14:06:40 -0600
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 07:57 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

[...]
It is getting hard to follow 6 months release cycle.
I barely had time to see 11.0 and it is already candidate for deletion.

I hear on the other hand also suggestions for openSUSE to go on a
planned 6-month release cycle like Ubuntu and Fedora does - and release
say every November and May.

Is that something we should do for the future (after 11.2) - or what is
the best way to do releases in general?

Honestly, I think 8-10 months is a good release cycle - from a testing
and a marketing standpoint. That way testers aren't just constantly
working with bugs (presuming they start after most of the early
development is done), and we don't have to constantly support 4 or 5
different versions of openSUSE.

After all, our goal should be (and already is, I would think) to make a
really good product that people can use for 10 months to a year without
having to upgrade. Advanced or power users who want the latest stuff can
either upgrade to Factory, or utilize the power of the Build Service to
get what they want.
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy - openSUSE Member
Public Mail: <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>