Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:17:23 +0000
2008/12/17 Bryen <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 07:57 +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

It is getting hard to follow 6 months release cycle.
I barely had time to see 11.0 and it is already candidate for deletion.

I hear on the other hand also suggestions for openSUSE to go on a
planned 6-month release cycle like Ubuntu and Fedora does - and release
say every November and May.

What I'm observing more of in this thread, and hearing from people
talking directly to me, is that it isn't so much the time frame for
development in as much as the full utilization of each phase. Less
testing on alpha, more testing on RC as an example of a rather lop-sided
effect we've had. I think the focus of discussion should be more about
how we can improve the experience, thus making people likelier to
participate earlier on.

Then perhaps rather than just "Factory" aka "unstable", add "testing"
and "stable" rather than fixed releases; so most of the community
upgrade via small steps constantly; as they should do for security
fixes. The stable release could presumably be updated by the SP1, SP2
type method, giving magazines and disk emporiums, something useful to
provide to those with poor net connections.

May be for the interim versions, made available for testing, some
indication of "solidity" would help, based on the underlying technical
changes made, and feedback from the "Factory".