Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:51:17 +0000
2008/12/16 Kevin Dupuy <kevin.dupuy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 08:28 +1100, Magnus Boman wrote:
If we do DE based releases, problem would be solved (ie, release
openSUSE 11.2, KDE Edition when the KDE Devs/Community feels it's ready,
and likewise for GNOME). What it might mean is that this time around,
the KDE edition is released a month or two prior to the GNOME edition.

But at that point, we might as well just choose one desktop environment
as the default (which I'm NOT advocating, BTW). I don't know if the
mirrors will come after ya, but I have an idea the Marketing team
will ;-). Seriously, managing two different versions of the same
"version" being released would confuse even some Linux users :-)

So bump the number, and make the new rpm's installable via update. If
the core base is the same, then you have more users running the same
major version, those who want 'stability' could stay with the final
version of the previous release, those who love to be current, can
track the new software to get to the very latest minor release (and/or
pre-release test betas of new versions via build service repository if
that exposure is deemed desirable).

Having 10.2/10.3/11.0 and then 10.3/11.0/11.1 must be as hard to
support, as something like
11.3 (Final KDE4.3, GNOME 2.28, OOo 3.1.1) plus 12.x which is
'current' with the most recent release made When applications lag the
infrastructural core of the distro, at least they're known quantities,
and already have to be supported in the last final release.

Isn't the point to maximise the user base, so that SLED & SLES are
fairly bullet proof, and likely end-user issues have already been
experienced?.