Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 20:03 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Dienstag, 16. Dezember 2008 12:18:44 schrieb Dirk Müller:
I don't understand why a shorter release cycle was dismissed, there was no
reason given? How about a release in ~ May, which includes kernel 2.6.28
and gcc 4.4, and then a release around October/November for 11.3? These
plans have synergy effects: we can make use of a stable 2.6.28 kernel
already for other products, and we can make use of the testing of an
intermediate 11.2 release to make sure that 11.3 is stable enough to become
synced with the Enterprise Desktop SP1.

Actually many complained that 11.1 had a too short release cycle - so they
did not really start testing because they hardly finished their 11.0
polishing
and I guess that's right for many. And if you go with a may release with
many developers having prolonged christmas holidays and ask for an extended
RC
phase to stabilize and translate, this gives very little time over a kernel
and a gcc update. Does pretty hard to sell to users to me.

I think though this was really exacerbated by all late features because
of SLE 11 - cutting those off better would help in a shorter cycle
(though I'm not sure 6 months is the right answer).

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr@xxxxxxxxxx>
Novell, Inc.