Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 11.2 schedule
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:45:57 +0100
Am Montag, 15. Dezember 2008 16:08:41 schrieb Rob OpenSuSE:
2008/12/15 Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>:
First we talked about July '09 release to come close to an 8 months
release cycle. But KDE 4.3 is scheduled for release on June 30th and
probably an OpenOffice.org release will be out end of June as well -
both wouldn't make it into a July openSUSE 11.2. Therfor we're now
thinking about a September release.

Let us know what you're thinking about this.

I like the thinking, but I have tended to move to every other release
in past skipping 1 release, as twice yearly upgrades tended not to be
time effective, especially when important upgrades were available for
a previous release.

Psychologically, I'd like to see 2 RC's series releases, to encourage
more tester's who avoid 'Alpha' & 'Beta'. This could be at expense of
the last Beta's, giving time for wider testing of the kernel on real
hardware, with a chance for more fixes for less common drivers, making
it into the GM version, so the final release boots flawlessly on more
boxes.

Actually what I want to get away from with this release is Alpha, Beta and RC.
Our Alphas are usually not less stable than our betas and our RCs are usually
not 100% release material. So I want simple Milestones with goals associated
to it. These goals wouldn't be much different from what we have now, but it
would make it more clear IMO.

Greetings, Stephan