[opensuse-project] openSUSE Board Meeting Minutes, Nov 5th
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 23:00:36 +0100
The new openSUSE Board had its first meeting together with the people
from the old board to hand over what's to do, old action items and to
answer questions. Here are the meeting minutes of that meeting.

openSUSE Board Meeting "Passing the torch"
Nov 5th, 19:00 - 21:00 UTC via IRC on freenode
Participants:
Andreas Jaeger (AJaeger), Francis Giannaros (apokryphos), Stephan
Kulow (coolo), Federico Mena Quintero (federico1), Hendrik Vogelsang
(henne), Michael Löffler (michl), Bryen Yunashko (suseROCKs), Pascal
Bleser (yaloki)

General:
*Who will chair this one?
We agreed on a rotation in an alphabetical order, this meeting chaired
by michl, next one by suseROCKs.

*Who will take minutes?
Michl volunteered to take minutes for every board meeting and publish
them after review by the board. For confidentiality see below.

*Additional topics?
- zonker's presence
short discussion about pros and cons about inviting him per default
Result: we invite zonker if topics relevant for him are to be covered.
This should be anyway the case for everybody, eg. if we talk about
the Build Service we should invite adrian to the meeting

*unfinished AIs
- around 60 to 80 member requests in the queue, this should be
processed as soon as possible
- AJeager gave an overview about the process

Process for member approval:
- users register at users.o.o and apply for membership
- somebody (aj so far) transfers to the board wiki
- Everybody votes in the board wiki.
- Somebody approves/rejects on users.o.o and updates the wiki

The process is not ideal as it requires much manual work, esp.
verification is very time consuming

AI: henne to evaluate improvement of that process and
users.opensuse.org (cloaks etc.)
AI: all go through the list of current member requests for approval
AI: all check where the process can be improved and who can do/own it
AI: AJeager to import members requests from o.o.users to the board
wiki

We will freeze new applications, work through the pile of current
requests and improve the process. Needs announcement and and we
agreed to freeze till Dec 31.
AI: michl write announcement and circulate on the list

*Passing the torch
- board.opensuse.org
login and passwort to the ml, happy editing
AI henne: get the password of board.o.o changed

"Confidentiality of discussions and mail traffic"
The issue of confidentiality quickly zeroed in on transparency and
what is to be considered an adequate level of transparency.  With the
options being either a) publish full logs of meetings or b) provide
detailed summary of meetings. We agreed on publishing meeting minutes
in a summary format after each meeting.  Henne provided the opposing
vote in favour of full log publication.

We agreed on publishing meeting minutes in a summary form after each
meeting on opensuse-project.
Henne wanted to publish logs but couldn't convince the rest.

*New board discussion
- sharing of data - telephone, email etc?
We exchanged phone numbers and email addresses to assure reachability
amongst us.
- when and how to meet? Private /public meetings?
bi-weekly meetings, on Wednesday after project meeting at 1900 UTC
Uups, we missed to talk about public meetings. Need to cover that in
next Board Meeting
AI: michl to send out a reminder 1 day in advance
- Mailinglist
AI: henne to cleanup mailing list (remove former board members)

Next Board meeting on Nov 19, 1900 UTC
Chair: suseROCKs
--
Michael Löffler, Product Management
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nürnberg - AG Nürnberg - HRB 16746 - GF: