[opensuse-project] Novell internal programs on NON-OSS repository? (ie Novell Client)
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 10:22:09 +0100
Hi everybody,

Once more I would like to raise an issue with the Novell Client for
Linux. On 11.1 (Factory) I managed to install the beta version for 11.0.

Besides some hacks to circumvent some dependencies, I could install it
and 'logging in' to the tree is possible.

Nevertheless, copying files to a serever is not possible (df shows 0
bytes free... which I hope is only a joke).

The issue might come from the fact that novfs kernel module from the
linux client would be a later version, but fails to compile on a 2.6.27
kernel.

Suggestion for a solution:
-> Could we manage to bring those things in some official repositories
(maybe NON-OSS)? Several parts of the client are probably not gpl (even
though the kmp for example should be, as well as the yast plugin).

Having it in the repositories might spot errors a little bit earlier,
and we might finally end up with a version that actually works (the
client for 10.3 for example is still in a 'beta' stage as non-public
release, for 11.0 the integration with Nautilus is not working and for
11.1 it seems unusable at all).

It's almost a shame to see that the Novell own developed products suffer
so much of support on Novell's own (community) distribution. I
understand that the commercial products are more targeted at SLE
products.

The discussion is open... FIRE AT WILL!

Dominique