Re: [opensuse-project] Who are the "members of openSUSE community"?
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:55:02 +0200
Lørdag 11 oktober 2008 13:50:07 skrev Satoru Matsumoto:
Alberto Passalacqua wrote:
Why don't we skip this discussion instead?
It would be the exact repetition of what done at the beginning of the
membership idea. It maybe will lead to a wonderful, cool and elegant
name. But the real question which should be asked is: will it make any
difference? I don't think so.

If you don't think so, I'd like to know why you don't think so, and the
answer to my question that I mentioned in the top post:

Who are the 'members of openSUSE community', exactly?

If someone outside of openSUSE community asks you "How many members does
openSUSE community have?", is your answer "212 persons"?

If the person asking means "long time contributors approved by the board" then
the answer is 212. If the person asking means "users" then the answer is
probably in the region of a couple of million.

But as Alberto pointed out, we discussed the word "member" at length before it
was introduced - noone managed to come up with a better word for it then -
there's no point in keeping discussing it again at regular intervals.

Like Alberto I also wonder if anyone is really confused by the two different
meanings of the word "member". From the context it should usually be pretty
clear what type of member is meant.

If this actually is a problem, maybe one way to distinguish could be 212
(official) members of the openSUSE _project_, and 2.000.000 members of the
openSUSE _community_.