[opensuse-project] Who are the "members of openSUSE community"?
  • From: Satoru Matsumoto <helios_reds@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 13:26:02 +0900

Just now, we have two definitions for the 'members of openSUSE community'.

1) As described in the preface of 'OpenSUSE Community':

'In fact, if you think you are a member, want to be a member, ask if
you are a member, then you probably are one :-).'

2) As described in the "Community Structure" section of the same page:

'openSUSE Members are specifically acknowledged contributors who have
brought a continued and substantial contribution to the project
(browse member list), who enjoy some perks and will elect the next
openSUSE board.'

Again. Who are the 'members of openSUSE community', exactly?

Now I can say "I'm one of the members.", because my openSUSE membership
application has been approved by the board and my name has been listed
on the member list. But, how about my friends, who are using openSUSE
and may be potential good contributors? Are they members or not?

Andearas Jaeger mentioned in the announcement for his 'Retiring from the
openSUSE Board':

'openSUSE “members” (I would really love to see a better name)'

I totally agree with him. We need a more suitable name for the "members"
in the latter meaning.

So, it's my proposal:

- Basically, everyone, who wants to be a member of openSUSE community,
is a member
- Rename "members" in the latter meaning to a more suitable name such as
fellows, supporters, etc.
- For it is in the period of the Board Election just now, we'd better
wait until the election ends in order to avoid the confusion posed by
the change of the name for the "members".

_/_/_/ To be Happy! _/_/_/
_/_/ Satoru Matsumoto _/_/
_/ helios_reds@xxxxxxx _/