Re: [opensuse-project] I propose a packagers meeting
  • From: Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 18:31:15 +0200

Leo Eraly wrote:
On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 22:50 +0200, Pascal Bleser wrote:

Michal Marek wrote:
[...]
But in both cases a mail to opensuse-packaging "Is anyone working on
XYZ" would have worked as well, right? I'm not saying a regular
packagers meeting is a bad idea, but I think to avoid duplicate
packaging work, there are better means of coordination that having to
wait six days till the next meeting ;).
Agreed, I don't think it would be useful for that purpose.
While it might be a good idea, although I'm not sure what we'd talk
about :), we'd rather need some proper web application for
- - managing a wishlist
- - have packagers take items from the wishlist
(and no, not the wiki)

You are right, the wiki is a pain for this

For that purpose something like debian is using could be useful
http://packages.qa.debian.org/common/index.html

At lot of this functionality is maybe already in OBS or could be added
to OBS.

IMHO it would be even easier to just discuss a bit about the model
(think "database tables and fields", if you prefer), a few features, and
whip it up with Grails -- scaffolding should be sufficient given it
would be very simplistic.. Grails generates the model, the CRUD
controllers and views and... add a plugin for authentication, that's it.

A simple CRUD web application with authentication for 2 or 3 tables is
done in a few hours.
And off the top of my head, a single table would even be enough, with
metadata about the package requests (website, description, license), a
status field (request, taken, done), and that's pretty much about it.
OK, add a "packagers" table with contact information about the packagers
who may pick requests from the queue.
That's.. dunno.. an evening or two.

The pain, as usual, would be to authenticate against iChain, as it isn't
open, can only be done from something hosted at Novell, etc...

If we would like to make more people contribute to contrib something
like that could be helpful.

Absolutely. We need better, more specific tooling, and for that we need
more software developers. And we need to get rid of iChain or have an
alternative gateway to it (e.g. OpenID or whatever).

cheers
- --
-o) Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
/\\ http://opensuse.org -- I took the green pill