[opensuse-project] Announcing Candidacy for openSUSE Community Board
  • From: Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:52:43 +0200
Hi Folks,

although people might say about me that they do not believe i am able to
run (roll might fly with them) i would like to express my intent to run
for the openSUSE Board membership.

I am active in the openSUSE community since before the dark ages, around
1999 AFAIR, and a SUSE employee since beginning of 2001.
My history with this project/company is very diverse and includes things
from representing SUSE Linux in national German TV to util-linux
maintainer.
But who cares about the past. Its a foreign country, they do things
differently there :)

My day job here at the mother ship is to care lovingly for the SUSE base
system. Me and my team (hey kids!) maintain a lot of the basic
under-the-hood utilities from sysvinit to X. Personally i care for around
100 packages in FACTORY, mostly network related. Apart from that i do
also a lot of tasks of the same quality for the project. I'm one of the
packman seniors keeping that repository kickin' since 2002, run together
with Pete and the operators the #opensuse/#suse IRC channel and maintain
all of the opensuse mailing lists and the corresponding server. I of
course also somehow participated in most of the important steps the
openSUSE project took in the last years. The start of openSUSE out of
the SUSE Linux community, the BuildService, Guiding Principles and so
on.

Working under-the-hood and let my actions speak rather then my blog
would also be my approach to the board member task. I like the board to
become the guiding entity we imagined it to be in the guiding
principles. This, i think, is only possible if you are not afraid to
take your mandate, step up and throw yourself into the nasty areas of
uncertainty and dispute. Settle things with the willingness to decide
in the best interest of the whole openSUSE project. I also imagine the
board to be a more pro-active one that involves itself into all areas of
the project. Therefore i think the board needs people that have seen it
all and understand that a project like this is built on hard work,
compromises and R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

With the understanding of how things work around here, my network of
contacts inside and outside the project and my ability to calmly pick up
people and get them enthusiastic about things i would be able to help
taking the board to where it belongs.

See you at the ballot box :)

Henne

--