Re: [opensuse-project] Proposal: Create development information sharing blog for openSUSE activities
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 20:48:41 +0100
"Benji Weber" <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 26/02/2008, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Idea:

To lower the barrier for developers to share information (and setting
up their own blog at a free hoster), let's create a blog (proposed
name see below - for this text "the site") that everybody somehow
involved with openSUSE (both external community members and Novell
employees - this should be available for all formal "openSUSE members"
) could get an account for sharing technical aspects of the developers
work. We should create several categories or tags initially,
e.g. YaST, and ask that every blog entry is part of at least one
category so that e.g. all YaST blogs can be read together. It should
be easy for developers to add tags/categories to their posts.

I'm not sure setting up a blog is difficult, there are numerous
providers of free blog hosting, some of which require little more than
a could of clicks from google to have a blog. Also many people will
already have their own blogs and may not want to bother deciding where
to post things.

I know it's not difficult but it would lower the barrier for starters
since some feel that it's difficult. It also could help to get topic
wise more information together and create initially more visibility for
a blog.

Also I see a danger of competing with planetsuse.

I suggest to aggregate on planetsuse.

Would it not be better to simply syndicate members' blogs which are
tagged or categorised with a certain string. The blog tags are
normally included in the RSS feed. Perhaps it would be possible to
implement it as http://planetsuse.org/tagname which only shows blogs
of that tag, and then create an alias on *.opensuse.org which proxies
it?

That looks like an interesting alternative.

Have you already discussed this with James Ogley?

No, I haven't. I wanted to discuss it directly here. Hope James is
subscribed. :-)

It generally seems like a good idea, some people do complain and not
subscribe to planetsuse due to the ratio between on topic and off
topic posts there.

Yes, that's also a problem and this would help.

Andreas
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany