Re: [opensuse-project] Getting Local User Groups off the ground
  • From: "Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:18:10 +0100
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:28 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Martin Schlander wrote:

> Being a board member of a LUG (the old-fashioned distro agnostic kind)
> myself, I'm not particularly pleased with the Ubuntu LoCos. I don't
> think this fragmentation is good for LUGs, GNU/Linux promotion effort,
> or really anything else for that matter. United we stand, divided we
> fall.

Yep, couldn't agree more. I think a SIG as part of a local LUG (as
Zonker suggested) is by far the better approach - if one is needed at
all.

I do think we need some sort of local presence, whether specifically
as a openSUSE local group, or SIG with LUGs, or something else -- for
one thing, it'd be good to have regional groups that could represent
openSUSE at regional shows that have booths for each project, etc. and
also as a focal point for openSUSE users who are already in an area --
for instance, I do like the idea of having regional release parties
for openSUSE -- assuming I'm not on the road when 11.0 is released,
I'd like to have a release get-together near where I live (the Tampa
area in Florida), and that would be easier to coordinate if there was
an existing local group.

It would also be good to have local contacts to ship DVDs or CDs (and
t-shirts, stickers, etc.) to in bulk to distribute at LUG meetings or
other events.

In some cases, regional groups might also be able to act as central
points of coordination for localization efforts -- IIRC we support 52
languages right now, but we could always improve there.

Ideally, any local groups would act in concert with their LUGs or be
part of the LUG itself. That is, of course, assuming there *is* a LUG
in the area.

I also agree with the educational idea -- It would be really nice, I
think, to have openSUSE users in a given region who are willing to
either have installfests or assist local users in using openSUSE, or
perhaps helping people become openSUSE contributors.

This is, for me, about finding ways to get existing openSUSE users and
contributors together in person, and finding ways to expose more
people to Linux and openSUSE. I'm not at all interested in any sort of
"openSUSE vs. Distro X" situation -- but I am deeply interested in
using the resources we have to encourage more people to use Linux, and
to make it easier and more fun to use openSUSE -- and I think part of
that is having some kind of regional presence.

Also, I want to know who to look up to go for food & drinks with when
I'm in a given region. ;-)

Best,

Zonker
--