Re: [opensuse-project] Getting Local User Groups off the ground
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 10:11:49 -0600

Being a board member of a LUG (the old-fashioned distro agnostic kind)
myself,
I'm not particularly pleased with the Ubuntu LoCos. I don't think this
fragmentation is good for LUGs, GNU/Linux promotion effort, or really
anything else for that matter. United we stand, divided we fall.

Exactly. I fully agree.

Hence I don't think local openSUSE LUGs are a particularly good idea. Also,
presently openSUSE has far less users than Ubuntu, and often also less
enthusiastic and active ones, so I have doubts whether it would be succesful
in many places at all.

Hehe. We should find a cure for the lack of enthusiasm of openSUSE
users ;-)

However it might make sense to form some sort of national committees, to
ensure that special national circumstances are addressed by openSUSE. For
example in Denmark there are certain special services and things that "must"
work (as easily as possible) for openSUSE to be able to compete (national
television streaming, home banking java applets, national digital signature,
etc.). I guess other countries also have special national things
that "everyone" uses - maybe it's more complex for larger countries, dunno.

I agree with the idea of testing things you surely need. Various
applications used by the public administration in Italy for example were
or are being converted to java. The digital signature is starting to
take place too. So being certain that they work out of the box is
something important if openSUSE targets desktop users.

Probably this testing can be done by current users, just in a more
organised way, with a sort of checklist where the working/non-working
applications are listed and possible workarounds are presented.

With kind regards,
Alberto