Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:47:59 +0100
Hi,
On Friday 08 February 2008, Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 7. Februar 2008 10:52:52 skrev Benji Weber:
There are two things to decide:

1: Should we remove all non-free software which restricts redistribution.
2: Should we remove all non-free software and have a completely pure
system.

The only proprietary packages that I think are really significant are Sun
Java, Adobe Flash and the wlan firmware blobs. Do any of these packages
prohibit redistribution? If not, I'm for keeping them on the dvd5.

My heart says screw the evil crap, but my brain says it's a good idea to
keep the division with FOSS CDs (albeit with wlan firmware) on one hand and
on the other hand the "mixed source" dvd5 that "just works out of the box".
This way we have something for everyone.
thank you all for the discussion about OSS only. The paragraph above outlines
most what I read and I suggest to keep it as is. With the 1CD version we
deliver on OSS only media and with the DVD we provide a convenient "works out
of the box" media. We'll try to get the 1CD EULA more understandable that it
just says, ..you're allowed to redestribute this software..

Thanks
Michael

Michael Löffler, Product Management