Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:06:09 +0100
On Monday 11 February 2008, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Francis Giannaros" <francis@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On Feb 11, 2008 11:02 AM, Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 11 February 2008, Francis Giannaros wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008 10:29 AM, Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I would suggest to use "core member" or "core contributor"
instead. This captures the fact that the people who get opensuse.org
addresses are the core of the project and still doesn't exclude
anybody from feeling as a member or contributor to the project
without formal recognition.

I simply don't think this confusion arises as much as you are
suggesting;

Well, I was confused, and I think a couple of others as well.

If there is no perfect term, then there will certainly be some people
that are confused. Since the amount of confused people seem to be so
few, and other terms seem to be even more problematic, it seems like
the best solution.

There's indeed no perfect term - the question is which is better.
something like "core member" might help indeed (or another annotation) -
but I'm not a language expert.

[...]
Most open source projects. Like I said, "core contributor/developer"
generally refers to people working on the _core_ part of the project.
For example in KDE where you work, a core developer might be someone
who i.e. hacks on kdelibs, whereas we don't want to restrict openSUSE
members to this core part only. We want translators, supporters, and
contributors of all kinds to be in theory eligible.

:-( Why is there no adequate expression? Perhaps we should create a

new word? ;-)
What about (1) "openSUSE contributor" or (2) "official openSUSE contributor"?
I'd prefer (1)
What I hear in the thread is that several people have an issue
with "memberhsip". And I think they are right as membership indicates a fee,
a closed circle or a door man. All of that should not apply to openSUSE.
We want all more and more people contributing to openSUSE in many different
ways and with the email adress we want to give them some recognition.

Andreas

--
Michael Löffler, Product Management