Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 12:02:18 +0100
On Monday 11 February 2008, Francis Giannaros wrote:
On Feb 11, 2008 10:29 AM, Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I would suggest to use "core member" or "core contributor"
instead. This captures the fact that the people who get opensuse.org
addresses are the core of the project and still doesn't exclude anybody
from feeling as a member or contributor to the project without formal
recognition.

I simply don't think this confusion arises as much as you are
suggesting;

Well, I was confused, and I think a couple of others as well. I think the main
reason for that is that we don't have an organization behind openSUSE itself
where you could be a member from. So when you talk about being a member of
openSUSE, it implies the project as a whole.

I also don't think the word itself implies it. "Core
member" would, however, be even more confusing as it's used completely
differently in other OSS projects

Really? Where is it used completely differently?

(whereas plain "member" is -- to my
knowledge -- only used in a way similar to this, successfully), as I
mentioned before.

Member is certainly used informally at a lot of places when people are
referring to members of a project. In a formal way it's usually only used
when there actually is a formal organization where you can formally be a
member of.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>