Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 17:20:11 -0600
On Sunday 10 February 2008 01:14:30 pm Roger Whittaker wrote:
On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 12:59:38PM -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

[...]

It gives no additional rights, it doesn't make you school
representative in official sense, it is just plain "we (the openSUSE
community) like what you are doing and this is our way to say thank
you".

It does: it's been clearly stated that membership as defined means
that you "speak for the project". That's one of the concerns that I
was trying to raise: what happens when someone who "speaks for the
project" gets out of line?

This has the potential for causing a lot of trouble, and I would urge
the Board to think carefully now about how they will deal with it when
it happens.

[...]

Roger,

I'm with openSUSE quite a while and follow quite tight many areas and, while
I'm not mind reader, it seems that I understand Board members better, most of
the time :-)

Membership is given, it is privilege, not a right, and can be revoked by the
same people that approved it. The technical details, or bylaws, will come
when need arise, but right now the Board has enough capacity to deal with.

Having email address with opensuse.org domain means some recognition, but it
brings responsibility, as you share identifier with group of people. Whatever
you do affects everybody with the same identifier to some extent. I think
that fact alone will prevent many of us from overreacting, risking to go out
of the line. Those that can't control themselves risk to have their feelings
seriously injured.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal