Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Martin Schlander <suse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:52:05 +0100
S√łndag den 10. Februar 2008 20:14:30 skrev Roger Whittaker:
it's been clearly stated that membership as defined means
that you "speak for the project". That's one of the concerns that I
was trying to raise: what happens when someone who "speaks for the
project" gets out of line?

There's speaking for the project and then there's speaking for the project.

People will of course understand that there's a different level
of "officialness" when some random member/employee speaks, and when Coolo, AJ
or Michl or a board member speaks.

What is meant is simply that some (many actually) people will be allowed to
speak with the added weight of using an official opensuse-address as
a "platform".

I don't think we need any special measures to discipline people. Incidents
will occur, but they'll be rare, and the public will have the good sense to
understand that it's just one person losing his head, and it won't reflect on
the whole project.

However I do think that it might be a good idea to consider some form of idle
timeout, so that membership+perks are revoked after a certain period of
inactivity. Maybe reviewing member list every 24 months or something.