Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 13:02:12 +0000

Francis Giannaros wrote:
[...]
Who said you *had* to sign them? I haven't seen that stated anywhere,

You said so, and the Wiki says so: if you want to be an openSUSE member,
you have to sign the documents.

[...]
You can still be part of the community, or a "member" in a looser
sense, but you cannot be an "openSUSE member" in terms of the criteria
we have defined.

Finally, I think you start to realize the problem. There have always
been members of the SuSE community (since the mid '90ies), later on they
have become members of the openSUSE community. Now you have changed the
meaning of "membership" by introducing artificial new criteria,
applications, approvals etc. Many people that I (and obviously others)
consider as members of openSUSE do now fall short of your criteria and
therefore are no longer considered as members (according to your
definition). This, from my point of view, disregards their very valuable
contributions, though these contributions might be small in absolute
terms! Your own sentence cited above shows how obscure the situation now
is: you talk about "loose members" and "openSUSE members". Sorry, but I
think the approach you took wasn't such a good idea, and obviously other
people also stated that they feel somewhat uncomfortable. You shouldn't
have called your approach a "membership". In principle it comes down to
two questions: Can you measure contributions in an open community with
such a variety of people and skills in absolute terms (see my email to
Pascal)? And secondly, should you be allowed to change the definition of
"membership" although it has already been used over the last ten years
and it has gained a certain meaning?

You don't have to agree with me and some others, it's okay to have
different opinions, but I expect from you - as a board member - that you
(at least) realize the concerns that have been raised, and that you
start thinking about it. If you only want to represent that part of the
community that agrees with your own opinion, then there's something
wrong. You can of course come to the conclusion that the concerns aren't
worth dealing with or you can simply ignore the concerns. What they
show, however, is that the way the board has communicated their ideas so
far isn't ideal and that things are somewhat confusing and unclear (this
includes the membership discussion as well as the suddenly adopted code
of conduct, the responsibilities of the board, for instance regarding
problems on mailing lists, etc).

Regards, Th.

PS> Please stop sending me private copies of list postings. Everybody
has to be subscribed in order to be able to write to the list. I
obviously read this list and there's no reason why I would like to
receive your emails twice! Use a "reply-to-list" functionality.

PPS> That's my last email in this thread. I think everything has been
said and there's no need for repetition.