Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership: a general comment
  • From: Thomas Hertweck <Thomas.Hertweck@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 20:37:02 +0000
Hi there!

Pascal Bleser wrote:
[...] Granting is needed because not
everyone should have that "membership" (again, the word doesn't exactly
capture what it is, but it's the lesser bad one): it is supposed to be
for active contributors and makes them representative of the project
(which is what using the @opensuse.org email for writing.. emails is all
about really, implicitly). If we gave it to everyone, it just wouldn't
make any sense.

I agree with Roger. I think the whole membership approach and what you
said in your email is a contradiction. One the one hand, you said that
membership should be exclusive to active contributors and only people
who represent the project should get a membership. This means, in
principle only maybe a dozen people should get such a membership (unless
you want to apply weak criteria, but then: where's the borderline?).
However, on the other hand, you said...

I find it a bit odd that people think it's a disclosing factor

...that such a membership approach isn't a disclosing factor. I think
that's a contradiction. Who decides about active contribution? Isn't
somebody who helps his friends at home installing openSUSE on PCs and
laptops an active contributor? From my point of view, yes absolutely.
However, how do you want to "measure" his contribution? No board member
will probably know this guy, how do they want to approve his membership?
And is somebody who develops some code for openSUSE but otherwise shows
rude behaviour worth becoming a member? From my point of view, no, not
at all. Such a person should never be allowed to represent openSUSE,
even if he develops a core part of the distribution.

For me, it sounds like somebody wants to create an exclusive inner
openSUSE circle, people have to apply for membership, people have to
sign guiding principles, a board has to approve membership. No, that's
from my point of view definitely the wrong approach. I will probably
never become a member of openSUSE as proposed in this thread, but
nevertheless I feel as a member of the openSUSE community and provide
help wherever possible. I don't need need a membership for that, and
I don't need to sign code of conducts and other documents. Things like
that just alienate (some) people.

Regards,
Th.