Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Alberto Passalacqua <alberto.passalacqua@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:05:16 -0600
No. The point is that Novell has a contract with Adobe and the other vendors
of proprietary sw we ship. These contracts allow us to shop openSUSE with
this software but don't allow that the user distribute this software to
others (friends, neighbors etc.).
All of the proprietary software vendors won't go after you if you
redistribute
this as they want distribution of their software but they don't allow
officially redistribution of their sw.

Thanks for the clarification. I forgot this, sorry.

However, I still vote to have them on the DVD and without many
complications for the final user.

In other words, let things as they have been for years, without changing
again the media organisation, because there's really no point in doing
that at each release, if not generating confusion in the users. It looks
to me like changing things just to change, and it's not a real
evolution.

To answer to Martin, limitation to freedom or not (I'm not a purist, you
know ;-)), from a practical point of view the presence/absence of this
software in an "out of the box" installation is a key added value for
new/not expert users and it can make a difference when they decide what
distribution to use.

Regards,
A.