Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: Michael Loeffler <michl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:56:59 +0100
On Friday 08 February 2008, you wrote:
I just checked with our legal team. firmware blobs doesn't but Adobe
Flash and
acroread prohibit redistribution. With Java its pretty tricky as larger
parts
are under the Distributor License for Java (DLJ) and some uses and
older Sun
Binary Licence which doesn't allow redisribution.

Why acroread and flash can't be redistributed? We had them on the
"complete" media since I started to use suse (9.0).

Did they recently change their licence?
No. The point is that Novell has a contract with Adobe and the other vendors
of proprietary sw we ship. These contracts allow us to shop openSUSE with
this software but don't allow that the user distribute this software to
others (friends, neighbors etc.).
All of the proprietary software vendors won't go after you if you redistribute
this as they want distribution of their software but they don't allow
officially redistribution of their sw.

Regards,
Alberto

--