Re: [opensuse-project] Re: [opensuse-factory] status report distribution week 5
  • From: "Claes Backstrom" <claes.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:11:44 +0100
On Feb 7, 2008 10:52 AM, Benji Weber <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/02/2008, Claes Backstrom <claes.backstrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- we want to make the EULA _really_ simple in using only OSS, currently
the EULA (if you read it) forbids you to distribute copies of your
downloaded openSUSE - because of the non-oss software bundled

This reason alone should tell everyone that the NON-OSS software have
to be removed from the OSS media.

It's not quite that simple. Some non-free software allows
redistribution, and some does not. Even the non-free version of java
allows redistribution.

There are two things to decide:

1: Should we remove all non-free software which restricts redistribution.
2: Should we remove all non-free software and have a completely pure system.

My vote is for 2. And ship the NON-OSS software on another cd instead.

Worth bearing in mind for (2) that even if all non-free software is
removed the user can still not freely modify and redistribute the
modified versions because of all the Novell trademarks and some
non-free artwork included.

Don't Novell/SUSE give us permissions to redistribute the non-free
artwork (without modification that is)?

Warm Regards,
Claes Backstrom