Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Membership
  • From: Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 17:14:41 +0100
One of the first things that the openSUSE board have been working on
is getting some clear acknowledgment through for all good openSUSE
contributors. The result of this can be seen through what we think of
as "openSUSE Members"[0].

I'm happy that there is now a defined way to get an opensuse.org mail address.
That's good.

We hope that this will further distinguish active and helpful
contributors to openSUSE, and in doing so bring the openSUSE community
closer together.

I'm also very much in favor of giving active contributors recognition. We have
great examples how this can work, e.g. the "People of openSUSE" series.

But I'm a bit concerned about tying this to the status of a "member" of the
project. openSUSE is an open and inclusive project. People should feel like
members when they are taking part in the community. I don't think this should
require any formal approval. This feels like an additional barrier which goes
against our desire to grow the community.

--
Cornelius Schumacher <cschum@xxxxxxx>