Re: [opensuse-project] Application blacklist
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:22:45 -0600
On Monday 26 November 2007 02:08:00 am Josef Assad wrote:
I was wondering how this list was determined:

http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List

Would it make sense to have some form of community process whereby
applications are transparently evaluated?

I understand that in all likelihood it is a SUSE/Novell consideration,
which in itself is a good reason. But openSUSE is a global community, so
it would probably help to be more clear about this.

To take an example, as the page currently stands I'm guessing it
reflects the various legal constraints in Germany and the US. Since that
isn't called out, one could assume it meant software which is illegal
anywhere. In Egypt, there's legislation on the books which imposes a
blanket encryption ban (never mind whether it's applied or not), and
that could certainly have changed the length of the Application
Blacklist somewhat. :)

I would like to have answer to that question too, and of course some way to
get software that is locally not banned.

--
Regards,
Rajko.