[opensuse-project] Application blacklist
  • From: Josef Assad <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:08:00 +0200

I was wondering how this list was determined:

http://en.opensuse.org/Application_Black_List

Would it make sense to have some form of community process whereby
applications are transparently evaluated?

I understand that in all likelihood it is a SUSE/Novell consideration,
which in itself is a good reason. But openSUSE is a global community, so
it would probably help to be more clear about this.

To take an example, as the page currently stands I'm guessing it
reflects the various legal constraints in Germany and the US. Since that
isn't called out, one could assume it meant software which is illegal
anywhere. In Egypt, there's legislation on the books which imposes a
blanket encryption ban (never mind whether it's applied or not), and
that could certainly have changed the length of the Application
Blacklist somewhat. :)

JA

- --
http://www.DonAssad.com
jabber ID: josef.assad@xxxxxxxxx

Please consider the environment; do you really need to print out this
e-mail?