Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:25:49 -0600
On Sunday 11 November 2007 10:55:29 am Maciej Pilichowski wrote:

ad.a,b,c...) of course with update of X maybe you have to update Y,
but it would be a still update of portion of the system, just bigger
or smaller, not the entire lengthy process of upgrade which looks
like an install

I'm not packager, but I have some idea what is the problem.

When Cristian referred to gcc with 800 dependant packages that should be
recompiled which translates in word 'updated' from user side, that was
example what size can be one incremental update.

I guess that it would be even worse with glibc. In case that you have design
flaw that impares computer, there is no backward compatibility that will
justify not to drop it and create better solution. The result is need for
massive changes and update for all packages that use it. This is the case
where idea of endless incremental update will become one large update, and
that is exactly what we have now.

If you like incremental update than use software repositories of openSUSE
Build Service. For instance, I have often new version of KDE before official
release. What is that if not incremental update? It is just not officially
supported by Novell/SUSE, they don't patch such versions.

--
Regards,
Rajko.