Re: [opensuse-project] KDE-LIVE-CD, very bad impressions
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:18:11 -0600
On Sunday 11 November 2007 08:04:12 am Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
Hello,

I will give you just an actual example, in order to upgrade the
compiler for openSUSE 11 we are currenlty changing more than 800
packages !!

And the problem is "solved"?

For me this example is just a proof that something is terribly wrong
and it would be rather a good argument to rethink the design of the
system. Otherwise in 5 years you will be writting "for opensuse 17 we
had to change over 24000 packages". It is pretty obvious the current
design does not scale.

While the second part about 24000 packages seems as real, but not so close
future, what are alternatives?

Gentoo:
It has problems too. I was using it for a short time and stopped after some
time. Updating (recompiling) world, or adding another USE flag that I thought
I don't need on initial installation would lock computer for a long periods.
We scream here for too long installation that takes lesser then an hour.
Update that keeps system out of service for a day seems to be worse case.

Debian, BSD:
Testing branch has stability below old SUSE, comparable with openSUSE ;-)
Stable is out of fashion. Far too many functions that are considered normal
are not there.

Small base system:
That is OK, but then I have to compile every additional application by myself.
Not always a problem, but when it comes it can ruin whole installation. To
prevent loss of a lot of work invested in previous compilations one has to
keep whole system backups (not only user data) current, and even that can be
a lot of work once problem is discovered.

SLED/SLES:
No fashion, just utility. Updates are well tested, but you can't get them
without descent pay.

For people that like permanently updated system Factory is good choice.
It is also good demonstration how that works. Sometimes it is fantastic and
sometimes dangerously broken.

There were comments that it should come later, to allow for a more testing
time, but that is defeated with reality. Not that time can't be given, but
way too many users don't download and install before GM, and there will be no
enough testing even if development period is measured with years, not months.
I see the same story for a years.

For me SUSE is good because I get right balance between new versions, mass of
precompiled packages and stability.

--
Regards,
Rajko.