Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE contributor survey
  • From: Andrew Dorney <linuxnoob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:08:49 -0600

Hello,

Consider how succesful Ubuntu has been with a shit brown theme.

I really doubt that Ubuntu was successful BECAUSE of this brown,
ekhem, theme, but rather IN SPITE of it.

It's important that the product has it's own style and character,
and doesn't look like a bad clone of better known products. I'm for
green.
But well, this doesn't mean all artworks and backgrounds have to be
blue. It would be boring. Just two examples: MS Vista and Mac OS X
Leopard are not blue.

True, true, true. On the other hand how many users work with original
theme AND like it?

Green as color code is ok for me as long as I don't have to use it --
because it means for me "rotten", when blue is "calm". But I couldn't
work neither with green nor blue wallpaper/theme, the only thing
which remained from installation is the grub opening screen (I don't
know how to change it _easily_) so... I liked blue better there ;-).

In other words (for me) -- green box is great, because it is original
and easily to remember, green discs, too, books, yes, t-shirts, yes,
and so on, but all permanent themes I see on my screen every day --
not at all. Blue, green, red it does not matter -- I have to set
something more peaceful.

have a nice day, bye

I agree - the green box, green discs, general green theme of OpenSUSE
make me associate green with the distro, versus red with Fedora or
RedHat, blue with Mandriva, brown with Ubuntu, etc. I won't stick with
the default OpenSUSE background, but I do like the rest of the theme.

Another small glimpse into the association of green with OpenSUSE is the
slogans that were put forth during the 10.2 days, available at
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Slogan. There were seven different
references to the color green in the slogan, and absolutely none with blue.

Anyway, I'd like to see OpenSUSE stick with the green scheme, if only to
retain the color -> distro association.

~~ Andrew Dorney