Re: [opensuse-project] One-click to IRC on 10.3: status ?
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:17:18 +0200
Am Montag 30 Juli 2007 schrieb Pascal Bleser:
A while ago, a few of us IRC folks have tried to push having a one-click
.desktop icon that would take users directly to #suse in 10.3

While the idea seems to be divisive amongst people, I would like to know
what the state of things is wrt that @Novell.

I've heard that Michl is against it, and given his position, I presume
that's a "no-no" veto.

If so, could someone (preferably Michl himself) explain the reasoning
behind it?

Afraid of people misbehaving ? We have ops.
Afraid of it getting "out of control" ? Make it clear that it is
"community support" and not an official Novell channel, and trust the
community.

Being very much in favour of having that one-click-to-#suse thingy, I
would appreciate (to put it mildly) having some feedback and if it's
veto'd, I'd like to hear the reasons.

There won't be a _one_ click to #suse - and the main reason is that it's a bit
of suprise and explaining the concept of IRC in two lines is asked too much.

What we have is here: http://ktown.kde.org/~binner/greeter.png (Alpha7
material)

And this links to http://en.opensuse.org/Communicate, which links to #opensuse
(among others). So what you get is a 3-click-to-#suse

As I explained you on IRC, this will be an interesting experiment for the
channel and its ops :)

Greetings, Stephan