performance with threads
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:47:50 -0400
I am possibly looking to port a product that runs on Solaris and Windows
to Linux. The vendor raised some concerns on G++ and Pthreads. At this
time I have few details, and I am just looking into some potential areas
that might need tuning. I'm confident that the port itself will be
successful, but that the performance might be below expectations. Note
that the vendor found that G++ on Solaris was somewhat lacking.They use
LWP threads on Solaris. He also mentioned that they used SpartHeap on
Windows, which is a commercial version of an optimized malloc. Malloc is
always a performance problem in a threaded environment, but that can be
mitigated.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group