Re: [suse-programming-e] Matthias Ettrich in praise of MS Windows IDE's
  • From: Derek Fountain <derekfountain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:43:54 +0800
> "Favorite editor? Hard to say. I'm mostly using XEmacs and it's quite ok.
> But it's not my favorite. It lacks very useful editing features known from
> MS-Windows IDE's, like showing a function's arguments when typing a call in
> the code. This requries profound C++ parsing and understanding in
> real-time, nothing you can do fast enough in lisp, unfortunately. So
> eventually, we have to replace Emacs with a K-Tool, I guess."

The subject isn't quite accurate. He's praising a particular feature found in
most Windows based IDEs, not the IDEs themselves. Splitting hairs, but we
wouldn't want to put words into the mouth of one of our own, eh? :o)

I've seen this feature in commercial IDEs on Linux (JBuilder comes to mind),
and the Eric3 python IDE helps a little bit in this respect. Not in any free
editor though.

> This is now a couple years old, but things really haven't changed regarding
> C++ that much. It's getting there in KDevelop, but right now it's got the
> best of them challenged. Part of the reason the functionality isn't there
> is because too many people don't share Matthias's opinion. But what's
> Matthias Ettrich know about programming anyway?

It's this sort of thing which occasionally makes me despair of Linux on the
desktop. The hackers who cut the code really don't seem too interested in
what users want. "We do it for fun," they say, "we're not forcing you to use
it if you don't want to." The view seems particularly prevalent amongst KDE
developers. I think the influence of Sun et al is helping push GNOME more in
the right direction.

The problem is endemic. We don't have a decent website building tool like
Dreamweaver because hackers know how to cut HTML code. We don't have a decent
XML manipulation tool like XMLSpy because hackers know how to cut XML code.
There are dozens of text editors out there, but none which are simple and
powerful enough to offer these sorts of completion features Matthias is
talking about. And as you say, years later, still no one is listening.
Depressing. I think I'll have a beer... :o)